Sunday, September 28, 2008

Like nothing ever happened...

When we had our consult with Dr. Mendeloff before the surgery he told Jase and I that he thought we would be most shocked by how quickly Reese recovered from surgery. Wow!, was he right. Reese acts as if nothing ever happened to her. She gets on her belly, is trying to truly get the crawling thing down, moves her arms all around. Other than having a big scar, or zipper as we call it, down her chest and Jason and I scooping her up rather than lifting her under the arms, you would never know the kid had open heart surgery. We are so thankful. Here are a couple of pictures of her right before we left the hospital...
(this is the first time she wore clothes in 5 days)
We have been so blessed by the way people have cared and loved on us through this entire thing. We had 6 people from church staff at the hospital at 6am to pray over Reese before surgery (plus, Jason's uncle who drove in from Corpus and his mom). All the grandparents came in and helped with the big girls and everything else. My dear friend Paige joined us before the surgery and stayed until I was released from the ER (no snickering please :0) ). My best friend, Rachel, from Waco drove in for the surgery. We had a lot of my students at the church, youth leaders, friends, etc. who prayed around the clock from Wed. night through Sunday. My mother-in-law, Melody, stayed until Friday to help me with things (and she got a huge hug for treating me to a cleaning crew too). Since the Wednesday evening before surgery we have had meals dropped off each night for our family, and this continues through this entire week. Can I tell you how easily I could get used to this? Our big girls have acted like champs through the entire process. Laney and Reese's school provided a big basket full of drinks and treats for the hospital. Our friend Rusty came with a ton of baked goods during surgery. We have received flowers and stuffed animals. My brother, sister-in-law, and nephew came up this weekend to check on us, and treat the girls to fun toys. Truly, people have been exceedingly gracious. Thank you to any of you who have been a part of this. I could go on and on...
I promise in the next few days to post about other things in our life, as well as put up some fun family pictures our friend took. Good night, friends!



No comments: