Thursday, December 24, 2009

Every Soul Needs a Savior

"Because of God's tender mercy, the morning light from heaven is about to break upon us, to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, and to guide us to the path of peace." Luke 1:78-79

As I was reading my Bible last night I came across these verses. I think because it's in the New Living Translation it stood out to me as if I have never read these verses before. The truth is I have read them more times than I can remember. But oh what a precious gift I felt God lay across my heart last night. These verses come from Zechariah's mouth soon after John the Baptist was born and just months before God incarnate was born in the form of a helpless child.

All day long these words continued to dance across my mind and heart. Because of God's great mercy, we were given a Savior. Not just mercy from one man to another but from God himself. Not just God's mercy but his tender mercy. Because of His tender mercy God gave the most precious gift possible...His Son wrapped in cloth and lying in a manger among cows and horses and whatever other animals found solace in that tiny stable in Bethleham.

Light broke upon us that quiet night. A bright light. A heavenly light. A light that burns for all eternity for all men and women, every boy and girl, for the rich and the poor and everyone in between. A light for the hurting. A light for those who celebrate. A light that triumphs over the darkness in even the darkest of nights and greatest of storms. A light that beckons us to peace, to hope, to life.

You need a Savior. I need a Savior. Every soul needs a Savior. And over two thousand years ago, the Savior we all need chose to come in the form of a baby...to walk as we walk so that we can walk as He walks. Wherever this time in life finds you...on a mountain of inexpressable joy or in a valley of deep sorrow, know that Emmanuel "God with us" has come. Let His light nestle into the very crevice of your heart and bring peace to the deepest part of your soul.

May the greatest Gift ever given be yours this Christmas Eve night. Merry Christmas!

No comments: