Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Dreams

"It is pleasant to see dreams come true"
or another version:
"A longing fulfilled is sweet to the soul." Prov. 13:19


I have silly dreams:
~ having my entire house be completely clean and for longer than 10 minutes (hey, while we are dreaming, I'll add to my dream that it is cleaned by someone other than myself who looks like Matthew McConnaughey)
~ weighing 10 lbs less and having super cute hair
~ sleeping in until 10am
~not picking up 12 pairs of OTHER peoples shoes a day (albeit, they are cute OTHER people)


I have dreams I pray constantly:
~ that all 3 of my precious girls love and walk with Jesus
~ that those same 3 sweet girls grow up being best friends as children and as adults
~ that I love the Lord in a way that makes others want to love Him too
~ that my kind husband would hunger and thirst after God's Word
~ that the Lord would graciously protect and provide for our family


And my new dream from just the past 3 months or so (drum roll please):
In honor and in memory of my incredible mom, my dearest friend in the world,
I would like to put together gift baskets full of snacks, water, magazines, books, etc. to take to families who are having a child go through open heart surgery (like our sweet Reesie a year ago) or who are battling cancer like Mom.


I remember the number of people who visited my mom in the hospital and what an encouragement it was to her. I remember what a huge blessing it was at the hospital last year with Reese when her school sent a gift basket full of snacks and water up for our friends and family in the waiting room.


I'd like to place something in the baskets that can be an introduction to Christ, nothing to over the top, but something that might give them a taste of His loving kindness even in the midst of a raging storm in life. I'd like the baskets to be cute. My mom loved decorating and loved making people feel special and I want these to do the same. I'd like to name my little project something having to do with God's Graciousness. First, because of the graciousness He gave me through the life of my mom. Secondly, because of the graciousness He bestowed on us by allowing Reese's heart to be healed medically. Thirdly, because my Mom's name Jean means God's graciousness.


I'd love y'alls feedback. What do you think? Do you have ideas about what to put in the baskets? What would be the best "taste" of Jesus in material form? How is the best way to get things at a reduced price or donated? Would you be willing to donate and help give some of God's graciousness to other families? Just as I am doing it in honor of my mom and our Reese, if I posted on my blog your name and a loved one you are choosing to honor would you want to be a part of this? If God were to have this dream take off in big ways, does anyone know anything about creating a non-profit? Anyone have a creative name for this dream?


Come on...I don't ask often, but will you leave me a note. Even if you are a friend of a friend who checks in every now and then who I've never met... (you know we all do it), I want to hear from you.
"The Lord always keeps His promises; He is gracious in all He does." Ps. 145:13

5 comments:

Shayna @ Texas Monkey said...

Very inspiring and wonderful idea Kim. I'd be willing to donate items to your dream. When my Papa died last Aug and we were in the hospital for 2 weeks I was always blown away with friends that offered their support. We found the snacks and bottled waters useful, magazines, gift cards to eat somewhere besides the cafeteria, we also had a gest book for folks to write my Papa well wishes and kept by his bed side. I'll let you know if I think of other ideas. I'll be lifting this dream of yours and believing for great things to come to pass because of it.

Anonymous said...

Kim, I think it's a great idea, and just calling it "God's Grace" would honor both our Lord and your mom. You know that I'd be willing to donate to this, either monthly or for specific baskets. If you expect donations, you might want to start a separate bank account before getting your first donation (other than what you put up to start it)just to keep your personal funds separate from your charity. I'd find a tract that you find at the right level of proselitizing intensity you desire and just put one in each basket. Maybe get a stamp made that gives the organizations name and address if people would like more info. As for 501(c)organization, I'd check with a lawyer/judge in your church as to when and how to go about it.

Okay,probably more than you wanted right now, but you know me, sweetie. Love ya, Dad

Wendy said...

Kim-

What a fantastic idea. I will talk with my friend Stacie, Gavin's mom, and see what items she would have liked to have had the months that she was in the hospital staying with her little one. Also, Brad and I would love to help out however we can to get off the ground. Good thinking, friend!

NANNY said...

After spending 23 days in the hospital myself this Fall, I began to think of some very specific "gift basket" ideas. I agree with the things Shayna mentioned plus parking tokens(if applicable), hand sanitizer(tiny bottles with clip-on ability),roll of quarters for vending machines, thank-you notes and more! I'd be interested in donating also!
Nancy Zeiger

Sarah Moore said...

Kim,

I can see your mom all over this :) I think it is an amazing way to honor her and to minister to families in need as well - the Lord has clearly put this on your heart for a reason!

On the practical side, your dad offered some great advice about a different bank account, etc... As for donations, to get official donations from companies, you will have more success after creating a non-profit entity. Then you write a letter explaining what you are asking for, and telling them their donation will be tax deductible, etc...

However, I think you can get a lot of donations just by explaining it like you did here within your church and amongst your family and friends. You convinced me :)

I will be praying for you as you pursue this dream...that God would open the doors that will make it a reality sooner, rather than later!

~ Sarah