Thursday, February 5, 2009

Happy Anniversary to us!


Ten years ago tomorrow I married my best friend. It's not just a saying for us. It's truth. Jason and I have been best friends since I was 12 and he was 14. He knew me before I had boobs, and crud he probably weighed a buck over 100 lbs at the time.


I remember my wedding day like yesterday. My bridesmaids had spent the night at my apartment. Even though it was the day I had dreamed about forever, I still had trouble getting myself out of bed. I've told you mornings are tough for me. We went to a lovely bridal breakfast hosted by a sweet woman at my church. From there my precious mom and I went to have my hair done. For some reason we had to stop at the hotel before heading to the church and as mom was getting out of the car she saw Jase and told me to duck down. Here I am complete with veil in place, ducked down in the car giggling.


Some of the moments I cherished most were: my bridesmaids and mom praying over me before the wedding started. For some reason taking a picture with my "little" brother was emotional for me. I started crying three times before the photographer could get a shot where tears weren't streaming down my face (if you can't tell, Andy means a lot to me). I'll never forget taking Daddy's arm and being completely overwhelmed when the doors of the church opened. I was the junior high pastor at First Baptist Katy so we had invited the church on top of our close friends and family. I had no idea there would be so many people. I couldn't see a single thing and literally almost lost it. I was on the verge of completely sobbing...you know, the kind where your entire body heaves, snot is running uncontrollably down your nose and you make horrible wailing sounds...yup, if I hadn't somehow managed to have a teensy bit of focus to see my best friend, Rachel at the end of the aisle smiling hugely at me and reminding me to take a breath...it wouldn't have been pretty. I loved our unity candle time because we had my mom and dad and Jason's mom and dad come pray over us. Our wedding reception was a blast (seriously people stayed for hours after we left and danced the night away).


I remember being nervous right before Jason kissed me, as well as right before our first dance. They were things I had wanted to practice and had forgotten. I remember changing into my going-away outfit and all of the sudden getting nervous that I was getting set to go do something I had never done before (if you know what I mean) and the kind words of my friend and bridesmaid, Sam, who had gotten married a few months prior. I still smile when I think that once we left the reception Jason looked at me and said we needed to stop by his house because he had some things in the dryer he needed to grab for our honeymoon. That's right...we stopped by his house so he could finish packing! I'm telling you, he is about as laid-back as they come. And in my own fashion I had given my brother keys to my car and didn't remember until morning that they had my drivers license connected to it. My dad had to come down and give me my license so we could leave on our honeymoon. There is a picture of us dancing at the reception that captures the day for me. I love the way Jason is just looking at me. It is one of the best days of my life.


Marriage has been a beautiful journey, but don't get me wrong...it has been very difficult at times. While the things that are most important to Jase and I are the same, and while our hopes and dreams always end at the same place.... the way we think and actually go about getting to that final destination is almost ALWAYs exactly opposite. Sometimes it causes a good laugh and sometimes it causes utter frustration. We have gone through moves, job changes, job loss, my mom's terminal illness, my mom's death, having three precious children, having a child going through open heart surgery. And there isn't anyone else I would rather walk the road with~ the highs and the lows.


There isn't another person who knows me better. And he has loved me well. I can tell you that there has not been one single time he has ever said a negative thing about my appearance or body. He makes me laugh. He is a faithful friend, a true gentleman, a wonderful provider, and an exceptional dad.


When I was fourteen I wrote a note to Jase. It told him I thought God had revealed to me that Jason would be my husband. I gave it to him soon after we got engaged. If you know our story, you know I waited a long time...even if I was only 22 when we got married. Babe, you were worth the wait. I love you!



No comments: