Monday, June 16, 2008

The greatest woman I've ever known


Jean Carol Ashford Boerckel. The name might not be in history books. Most of the world may not recognize the name. To me it is one of the sweetest and most significant names in my life, worn well by the greatest woman I have ever known. My precious mom. Today is her birthday. She would have been 56 today.
She was known for her infectious laugh, huge smile and the twinkle in her eyes. She was my dad's greatest partner, my brother's biggest fan, and my very best friend. She loved the Lord with faith like a child...she trusted Him not only in wonderful times but in the worst of times too.
She was without a doubt queen of hospitality. We constantly had people over for dinner. Missionaries stayed with us while in country. Several people lived with us for months at a time when they were trying to turn their life around. Our home was the house to hang out not only for my own friends but for Andy's as well. Every Friday night before a football game you would find the offensive line from my brother's team in our kitchen with mom behind a blender making milkshakes. She was room mom, team mom, and mom to our friends whose moms weren't around or weren't as good as they could have been. She served on the PTA, yelled louder than most parents at any sporting event, and proudly wore Andy's colors and picture with pride. She made gymnastics leotards, though it almost killed her, for my entire team.
You wouldn't ever find her up front, but she constantly did all the behind the scenes things she possibly could. She was a servant at heart. She laughed often and loved deeply. There has never been another person that has made me feel more comfortable to be me, and more loved. She was my best friend and I told her everything, as a child and as an adult. She wasn't just a good mom, she was the very best. I learned how to live well and how to die well because of her.
Very rarely can I speak of her without tears streaming down my face (they are right now). It isn't because I'm sad for her. Her home is with her Savior now and I have hope and truth to stand on because I know I will see her again. She was decorator extrordinaire and while the Lord may have built my mansion in Heaven I guarantee she has talked Him into letting her decorate it for me.
But I miss her. I miss her deeply. To the degree we love, we often grieve. My hearstrings are tied to hers for eternity. And frankly there are days I would do anything to just sit and have dinner with her, to hold her hand, to hear her laugh, to see her with my children. Heavenly Father, I still don't understand why you took her so early but thank You for blessing me with the kindest, most loving mom ever. Happy Birthday, Momma. I love you!

3 comments:

Daddy B said...

Kim, what a great tribute to your mom. And every word is absolutely true. She was a wonderful wife and a superb mother. As I read your tribute, each line brought back a flood of warm memories of fabulous times as a family. I'm looking forward to reuniting with her in heaven. Thank you for writing it.

Dad

Brittany said...

That is such a beautiful tribute to your mom! I will always remember her kind heart, gentle spirit, and love for the Lord. Thanks for sharing your memories!

Sarah Moore said...

There are times when words can't express what we feel, and times when they seem to miraculously do just that. Your words painted a picture that was so true to form that for a moment I heard your mom's laugh again, and saw her eyes twinkling with mischief; I saw her standing in the kitchen; heard the baseball game on tv; saw her sewing new sofa cushions and adding clipart to the PTA newsletter. The words you wrote are a gift - one you can give to your own children, for they TRULY spoke of exactly who your mother was - an amazing woman!!!
~ Sarah