Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Take me away...

I am well aware of the fact that I am about to date myself here. I imagine most of you youngsters out there won't have a clue what commercial I am about to talk about. I remember seeing it when I was in elementary school and honestly, found it quite annoying. Any guesses from my title which commercial I am referring to? That's right. The old Calgon commercials. Remember the weird ones with the mom sitting in the bubble bath boldly asking "Calgon, take me away?"

For some reason this odd commercial has come to my mind the past few weeks. One thing for sure...the commercial was written by a woman, not a man. Secondly, without knowing this woman, I am going to say that she is the mom of more than one child. I'll venture even further...I'm thinking that maybe she has an almost-four-year-old who decided in the last week that she would rather not do anything that her mom asked of her. When consequences began to be talked about I can only imagine this child putting on her "ugly" face (which unfortunately for the mom trying to discipline is still quite cute). After yeilding the cute, yet "ugly" face the child then stomps out of the room. This, of course, retracts much of the cuteness still lingering and makes follow-through discipline a little easier on the Calgon-take-me-away Mom.

But let's go on. She probably also had a 17 month old...cute as can be!...that felt the need to be around her mom 98% of the time and will cry if someone else tries to take her if sweet mom is still close by. And while this precious child will melt any heart...she can also have her own dramatic little fake "melt-down" if she feels the need arise. Thankfully, for the Calgon-take-me-away mom these are extremely short-lived.

And my imagination doesn't stop there. I'm guessing there was one more bright, adorable child in the house. This one probably usually gets wound up just before bed-time and because she is like her amazing mother...feels the need to get the last word in, even if not necessary at all.

On top of all this, in order to complete the perfect family, the Calgon-take-me-away mom has a dog...a dog that she used to adore much more when there weren't three children in the house. This pooch probably began acting as if it were going to have a nervous break-down...walking around the house whining, following within inches anywhere anyone went, sitting in the middle of a room barking at nothing at 11:30 at night. This smart woman probably called her vet and put the dog on puppy prozac for a pretty penny.

Yet, I imagine that this Calgon-take-me-away mom, whom I have never personally met, had these thoughts as she soaked in her bubble bath (thankful that the bubbles covered up her stomach which housed these three precious children and now is it's own secret pouch that could hide small objects)..."I wouldn't change anything. Okay, maybe a free maid and cook...but still, even with my husband's dirty clothes on the side of the bed and dishes in the sink...I know all of this represents the fact that I am blessed. Very blessed, indeed."

Well, not sure why the commercial came to my mind :)....

(Easter pics coming soon!)

No comments: